Get More Out of Your Signage Budget with Preventative Maintenance
Understanding Maintenance Options
Signage is a crucial investment for any business. It can attract customers, build brand awareness, and boost sales. However, it is essential to remember that signage requires regular maintenance to keep it looking its best and functioning properly.
As you prepare for 2024, consider signage maintenance when establishing marketing and branding needs for existing and new locations. Planning can ensure that your signs are always in top-notch condition, enhancing your brand’s visibility and safety. At the very least, a plan is in place to accommodate preventative, reactive, and emergency repairs for signs of all types.
Three Common Signage Maintenance Issues
Some of the most common signage maintenance issues include:
- Failed power supplies: This can cause signs to go out entirely or to experience flickering lights.
- Sign face damage or fading: This can be due to weather exposure, vandalism, or aging.
- General wear and tear: This can include loose or broken parts, rust, and corrosion.
Two Types of Signage Maintenance Options
There are various maintenance options for your signage and lighting, depending on the type of signs you have and their location. Standard options customized to your business include:
- Preventative maintenance: This involves regularly inspecting and cleaning your signs to identify and fix potential problems before they cause significant damage. This can also include upgrading lighting within the signage. The goal is to address minor issues to extend the life of your signage program, prevent the need for a costly overhaul later, and minimize downtime.
- Reactive maintenance: Signage can get damaged for a variety of unforeseen reasons. Strong winds, hail, and sun fading are a few ways the elements impact your program, and damage can occur based on a car hitting the sign or vandalism. If your signs are damaged, they can be assessed and repaired by a qualified professional reactively in the most efficient manner. This also includes helping extend the lifespan of signage when issues are noted, such as bird nests.
Signage and Lighting Maintenance Examples
2024 Planning for Signage Maintenance
When planning for signage maintenance, it is important to consider the following factors:
- The type of sign you have: Some sign types, such as illuminated channel letters, require more specialized maintenance and lighting than others.
- The location of your sign: Signs in high-traffic areas or extreme weather conditions may require more frequent maintenance.
- Your budget: The cost of signage maintenance varies, but understanding your number of locations, sign types, and placement can start to develop an understanding of a budget.
Tips for Effective Signage Maintenance and Lighting
Every signage program is unique, and ongoing management can help you extend the life of your program while keeping costs low. This includes considering the signage age of various locations and prioritizing them, factoring in upcoming branding efforts that may be a factor for updates, and using existing materials/structures whenever possible.
Here are some tips for effective signage maintenance and lighting:
- Establish a regular maintenance schedule to inspect and clean your signs, such as monthly or quarterly.
- Hire a qualified professional who complies with local guidelines and has experience in signs to troubleshoot issues effectively.
- Use high-quality materials when repairing or replacing your signs that will last and are utilized in your regions to address common issues.
- Upgrade your lighting in your signage and parking lot lights to make your site more visible and energy-efficient.
Get Started Today with PSCO Sign Group
By regularly maintaining your signage, you can ensure that your signs are always in top-notch condition and that they are effectively representing your brand and facility safety.
Founded in 1905, we are the oldest national sign company providing end-to-end signage program management, including maintenance and lighting, even for signs we didn’t build or install. We offer customized signage maintenance and repair options, including assessments for unexpected repairs. Expect a quick response, review, and repair recommendation (if needed) to keep your brand looking its best. With a national network and beyond, PSCO Sign Group can help you achieve your business goals and planning efforts. We also have a dedicated division in Florida to help with emergency services, hurricane preparedness, and long-term care.
Contact our Maintenance and Lighting division today for a free consultation to discuss your signage needs and let our team help you develop a comprehensive signage program.